Monday 3 September 2012

ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER - Simi Designs


 Hello Ladies and Gents and Welcome to week 3 of my ABSPD Student Showcase. I'm so thrilled that 3 weeks in and I am still showcasing the fabulous work of my Classmates. 

Today Is the start of Module 3 of The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design, and I'm thrilled to be joined by most of my Mod 2 classmates. Find out more about the course here.


Here is todays ABSPD feature from the fabulous Simi Designs. What I love most about Simi's designs are the earthy aspects. Her cultural background is apparent within her work, and that makes it so much more a pleasure to enjoy her work. 




Can you tell me a little bit about your background in Surface Pattern Design? 

I post graduated in design from National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi. For the past 13 years I have worked as a textile/product designer for companies around the world. It has been an amazing journey of making mistakes and learning and making some more mistakes; learning and evolving. I would not change any of it as it has made me into the designer, that I am today. 
June 2012- Simi Design was born.

 What made you apply for the ABSPD course and what have you gained from it so far?

ABSPD for me was a blessing. Its had been quite a while that I had been thinking of discovering the designer I am, for me, not for a company but for me. I sent one of favorite patterns to Print and Pattern and applied for the Print and Pattern scholarship....which I won!! I have never really won anything in my life, so having been chosen was a blessing, a real gift and I think as I move forward in life I will remember that day as that day that changed my life.

 Can you describe your style and what methods you use to create your designs?

I am more of a digital designer, but since ABSPD I have started to paint and sketch a lot. I love the outcome of this process as its totally different from what I am used to seeing. I love charcoal pencils and staedtler calligraphic pens

Where do you see your work progressing in the next few years, and what industry would you say you are aiming at? 

My work is shaping from my past, from memories of childhood and colors of India, the country that I originally come from. I love Sweden, the country I live in, for its minimal and simplistic design. I think in the years to come, you will see my work being influenced by these two strong cultures.
Professionally my main aim is to build my name as a brand. I have years of practical experience behind me to work with textiles and the paper industry, but this time I would like to be the name behind the designer and not just a barcode.



















Blog : http://simidesign.blogspot.se/
Facebook Page : https://www.facebook.com/SimiGaubaDesign

1 comment: