Wednesday 22 August 2012

ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER - Anna Dent Designs


Hello again, and welcome to day 3 of my ABSPD FEATURED DESIGNER SHOWCASE. 

We are a group of aspiring (and some successful) Surface Pattern Designers, all previously enrolled onto the same amazing course, created by Rachael Taylor and Beth Nicholls. Please click HERE for more details on the course.

Today I am thrilled to showcase the wonderful work of Anna Dent Design. Her abstract designs are wonderfully striking, and I am pleased to have her on my Blog.




Can you tell me a little bit about your background in Surface Pattern Design?

I did a degree in Fine Art (a few years ago now, but I don't dare count how many) in which I did some screen-printing, which I loved. Having worked in a variety of jobs and sectors in the last few years I have slowly realised that I would like to start my own business. I also noticed that I am always dreaming up shapes and patterns in my head, and I have always loved beautiful textiles. So these things all came together and started to crystallise into wanting to be a surface pattern designer. I've been playing with things for about a year, but it's only since taking the ABSPD course that I have really got more of a direction.


What made you apply for the ABSPD course and what have you gained from it so far?

What attracted me to the course is that it's not just about how to make nice designs, but it's also really focused on how to then get them out into the world and start making a living from them. It's helped me to make a big leap forwards both in terms of the technicalities of how to design, how to use Illustrator etc but also spurred me on to start putting the pieces of a business together, and start making products myself. 

Can you describe your style and what methods you use to create your designs?

I draw my motifs by hand, then manipulate in Illustrator. My motifs are a mixture of abstract shapes and quirky everyday objects, with a few bold florals for good measure. I have a strong mid-century influence, particularly in my colour palettes

Where do you see your work progressing in the next few years, and what industry would you say you are aiming at? 

I'd like to have my own line of products, initially I think homeware and accessories - I'll be making some cushions, teatowels and bags over the next few months. But I'm open to exploring everything right now - as I'm just starting out I want to try out lots of options and see where my work fits best. 










Here is how you can contact Anna:


Twitter: @annad_design 

No comments:

Post a Comment